Achilles Tendon, Achilles Tendonitis & Achilles Tendonosis
Achilles tendonitis is an inflammation of the Achilles tendon. Over time if left untreated can lead to a degeneration of the tendon (Achilles tendonosis), in which the tendon loses its organized structure and is likely to develop microscopic tears. In rare cases, chronic degeneration with or without pain may result in rupture of the tendon.
Achilles Tendon Pain Symptoms
- Pain – Aching, stiffness, soreness, or tenderness – within the tendon
- Pain appears in the morning or after periods of rest
- Tenderness – when the sides of the tendon are squeezed
- Chronic problems – the tendon may become enlarged and may develop nodules in the area where the tissue is damaged
Achilles Tendon Pain Causes
- Achilles tendonitis and tendonosis are usually caused by overuse. A sudden increase of a repetitive activity involving the Achilles tendon, leading to micro-injury of the tendon fibers.
- Athletes and “weekend warriors”are at higher risk for developing disorders
- In addition, people with pronation (flattening of the arch) have a tendency to develop Achilles tendonitis and tendonosis. If these individuals wear shoes without adequate stability, their over-pronation could further aggravate the Achilles tendon.
Achilles Tendon Condition Diagnosis
In diagnosing Achilles tendonitis or tendonosis, an examination of the foot and ankle including evaluating the range of motion and condition. The extent of the condition can be further assessed with x-rays, ultrasound or MRI.
Achilles Tendon Pain Treatment
- Oral medication [Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)]
- Physical therapy
If non-surgical approaches fail surgery may be necessary. Premier Podiatry Group will select the best procedure to repair your condition.
Achilles Tendon Pain Prevention
To prevent Achilles tendonitis or tendonosis from recurring after surgical or non-surgical treatment, Premier Podiatry Group may recommend strengthening and stretching of the calf muscles through daily exercises as well as custom foot orthotics.Dr. Adam Katz at Premier Podiatry is located at 8200 Jog Road, Suite 205, Boynton Beach, FL 33472 .
PremierPodiatry Group a podiatrist pratcice that has been effectively treating Achilles Pain for residents in the Boynton Beach, Lake Worth, Delray Beach and Boca Raton Florida area. If you are interested in more information about Achilles Tendon Pain Treatment Click here. If you have questions regarding any podiatry care and treatments we provide, please contact us anytime at 1-561-364-9584 or Email Us at your Convenience!